Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Socialpunk: Author Interview


Socialpunk author Monica Leonelle answers some highly anticipated questions regarding her new book series Socialpunk and why you and all of your friends should read it. 

Enjoy! 

Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book. 

Socialpunk is fun and face-paced and has a strong female lead but is also a quick read, so you can enjoy it in one or two sittings if you'd like.

What motivated you to start writing?

I started a Gen Y blog in 2007 called Twenty Set. It actually gained quite a bit of steam early on, but eventually I moved away from Gen Y topics. The reason I started that blog, though, is because I couldn't clear my mind! I literally just needed to get things out of my system. So I wrote that blog 4-5 times a week for about six months until my ideas stop churning so quickly. My love for writing as an adult grew out of that experience.

Who is your favorite character in Socialpunk?

I would say Ima, because she changes so much throughout the book. Nahum is based on a guy I had a crush on in 4th grade (right down to the name, even). Nasser is also exciting because he's got such big ideas and he's so damn reckless. He's willing to completely derail his entire hash just to pursue a dream. I'm a bit like him at times, to be honest.

Who are your favorite author's of all time?

All time? CS Lewis. I also love contemporaries like JK Rowling, Suzanne Collins, and Cassandra Clare.

What is one book everyone should read?

When I was a kid I loved this book called The Girl With the Silver Eyes. Here is the exact cover of the book I had: http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Silver-Eyes-Apple-Paperbacks/dp/0590442481. It's one of my absolute favorite YA novels, and, surprise! Maggie Stiefvater loves that book too. This was the first novel that made me want to write fantasy and science fiction.

Thank you for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me an assorted thought of your own. :)