Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Handbook for Lightning Strike Survivors- a review

“Love is a scary thing. If not reciprocated, it can turn a person into a monster.”-Michelle Young- Stone





This novel is one of the best coming of age/finding out who you really are stories that I have read in a while, the characters are very well developed and play all of their parts in Becca and Buckley’s lives beautifully. As far as chaotic lives go the trials and tribulations that the two share that bring them together in the end are enough to make even the most hopeless person have a little bit more hope about their own future. “Without hope…without faith…no one survives.” The last line in the book is probably one of my favorite last words to a book that I have ever read, when I picked up this book I didn’t really think that I would be quite as changed as much as I was in the end. The Handbook isn’t entirely just for Lightning Strike Survivors but it’s almost more of a fictional handbook for life. As corny as it may sound but gosh darn it it’s true! So of course I recommend this book and if you've already read it or it's on your bookshelf and you haven't cracked the spine yet, please do it!

Like the characters in the story I too have attempted running away from the chaotic unpredictability that has been my life for roughly the past four or more years, but I think that going through everything I’ve gone through has only made me stronger. Yes I’m a little bit of a walking cliché but I’ve read somewhere that clichés are the glue that holds some of us together when other things won’t. Including loved ones that almost refuse to say the most simple and powerful words known to man. After a while of not hearing that and if it’s heard and it doesn’t seem genuine and sincere then I think that yes it may in fact start to turn a person into a bit of a monster no matter how hard they may try to fight the pull. I know, I’ve been fighting the darkness before it takes over me.

I know I said that I was going to review The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake next but I couldn’t quite get into it so I’m saving it for another time.



xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me an assorted thought of your own. :)